The ACLU of Mississippi works to promote criminal justice reform aimed at reducing Mississippi’s prison population and protecting the inherent and constitutionally guaranteed rights of the accused, defendants, incarcerated persons, and formerly incarcerated persons.
We are working on:
• Addressing systemic practices of police misconduct,
• Reducing over-incarceration through bail reform,
• Exposing and challenging debtors’ prisons, convict leasing, and modern-day slavery and sharecropping,
• Advocating for transparency and accountability in law enforcement,
• Supporting restorative justice,
• Advancing alternatives to policing, and
• Advocating for effective reentry policies and programs for returning persons.