Request for Proposal
Introduction of Purpose
The ACLU of Mississippi seeks a firm or consultant to coordinate and manage private fundraising efforts associated with the organization’s 2021-2025 Strategic Plan. The campaign is anticipated to run in the second half of calendar year 2022 and will be supported by a recently completed external audit of the organization’s development capacity. The Development Consultant is a one-year, contracted position, with the opportunity to extend to a second year pending a successful first year.
The ideal consultant will be primarily responsible for executing the ACLU of Mississippi’s strategic objectives and statewide activities to increase annual general operating revenue through ongoing cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of existing and new donors.
The ACLU of Mississippi is dedicated to promoting, defending, and extending civil rights and civil liberties to all Mississippians with emphasis on issues related to criminal justice reform, education opportunities, equal access/equality for all, voting rights, and governmental transparency and accountability. We accomplish our mission through legislation, litigation and advocacy.
The selected candidate will work with the ACLU-MS Executive Director, staff and Board of Directors to expand private financial support of the organization. In meeting this objective, the Consultant will have access to a recent external audit of the ACLU-MS’s development capacity that conveys the strengths and weaknesses of existing fundraising efforts and infrastructure. The Consultant will have the opportunity to work with ACLU-MS and ACLU National staff to create a prospect list that includes potential donors (private sector, foundations, individuals and others) that work to support ACLU-MS’s vision.
Scope of Work
ACLU-MS is seeking a Development Consultant with a proven track record for excellence in
developing fundraising plans and developing an organizations’ fundraising capacity.
The successful candidate will:
- Identify prospective donors and develop strategies to cultivate relationships to achieve financial support
- Develop and oversee all fundraising activities
- Engage with Board members to prepare them to make face-to-face meetings with existing and prospective private industry sectors donors; may attend meetings as needed
- Provide timely and accurate reports to the Fundraising Committee of the Board and staff
- Build the capacity of the ACLU-MS Executive Director and Board of Directors to successfully engage in fundraising activities necessary for the ongoing execution of the Strategic Plan
ACLU-MS wishes to accept proposals from qualified individuals or firms who have experience working with public/private partnerships and/or economic development organizations
Firms or individuals wishing to respond to this request should submit a cover letter along with the following, via email, by 5 pm on 5/6/2022, Executive Director of ACLU of Mississippi Jarvis Dortch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your complete response should include:
- Cover letter indicating interest, experience and proposed fee structure for services;
- Description of the experience and qualifications of the consultant, including the resume of the principal;
- A narrative that addresses how the Goals and Scope of Work described herein will be accomplished, including a timeline with benchmarks, amount of time to be devoted to this work, and any additional staff who will be involved;
- A description of planned reporting and communications;
- Clear demonstration that the consultant has familiarity and knowledge of the sector in which ACLU-MS operates and enthusiasm for its mission and vision;
- Project budget, including all costs payable by ACLU-MS;
- Three client references for whom the consultant has provided similar services.