The American Civil Liberties Union of Mississippi / ACLU Foundation of Mississippi seeks a talented, energetic, and outgoing individual to help execute its fundraising efforts and donor-related programs at the individual contributor level while promoting initiatives that support goals of the organization in advancing the ACLU’s broad and ambitious civil rights and civil liberties agenda.
The ideal candidate will be primarily responsible for helping execute the ACLU of Mississippi’s strategic objectives and statewide activities that achieve annual general operating revenue through ongoing cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of existing and new donors. The Development Director applies a race equity lens to all matters of work, partnering closely with members of the Development team and volunteers to strengthen a strategic individual giving program.
- Manages a portfolio of individual donors;
- Manage full cycle of donor engagement of portfolio donors;
- Utilize organizational strategic plan to increase fundraising momentum to achieve revenue goals;
- Assist donors with achieving their philanthropic goals through the organization.
- Builds and strengthens relationships with donors through consistent communication via phone, email, video conference, mail, and in-person points of contact;
- Stewardship and cultivation of new grassroots and midlevel donors;
- Stewardship and cultivation of select midlevel donors;
- Stewardship and cultivation of major donor prospect pool;
- Collaboratively produce an email newsletter focusing on ACLU-MS issues and giving strategies;
- Ongoing cultivation and stewardship of portfolio donors;
- Coordinates with the Development Director and National ACLU colleagues on individual giving solicitation strategies;
- Participate in national orientation and ongoing Development calls;
- Collaborate with national liaison on planned giving prospect visits.
- Tracks donor preferences, interests, and other data in Salesforce database;
- Meticulous data entry and moves management tracking in Salesforce;
- Collect and report out on survey data from welcome packets and survey mailing.
- Develops scripts, surveys, and marketing materials as needed;
- Develop scripts for discovery/thank-you calls;
- Develop a welcome packet for new donors;
- Develop an annual donor survey in collaboration with other Development team members;
- Prepare proposals that blend national and local messaging;
- Collaboratively develop issue area one-sheeter templates.
- Collaboratively plans development events;
- Partner with ACLU of MS staff and volunteers on occasional events.
- Personal commitment to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil rights and civil liberties issues and their implications.
- Five years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with direct donor engagement, solicitation, donor life-cycle management, and event or project management preferred;
- Interest in actualizing the Community-Centric Fundraising model;
- Experience with fund and membership development programs preferred;
- Ability to think strategically, develop effective solutions, and take initiative;
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines on concurrent projects, problem solve, work creatively and independently;
- Ability to work and engage with diverse individuals within the organization and broader community;
- Experience with Salesforce or similar fundraising database;
- Dependable, punctual, and flexible;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Excellent organizing skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent internet and computer skills, including MS Office;
- Keen eye for design, layout, and presentation preferred; and
- Ability to work occasional weekends, evenings, and overtime.
This position is a non-management position and does not encompasses supervisory responsibility. This position operates on occasion as team lead while working with:
- Community volunteers
HOW TO APPLY
E-mail (1) a resume; (2) three references (and how you know them); and (3) a cover letter describing your interest in this position and how you specifically satisfy the qualifications specified above. Direct the email to email@example.com with the subject heading: "Development Director."